Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Day Of Training
08-07-2016, 09:44 PM,
My First Day Of Training
The first martial art I ever trained in was boxing.

I was around 13 years old and my brother had decided to take me along to his boxing club. I'd met the coaches before outside of the club, however the area that the club was in wasn't the greatest and I wasn't quite sure what to expect! 

Walking through the hallway of a high school in order to get to the sports hall, the nerves really started kicking in. Once there I was greeted by the coaches and saw all the fighters waiting with almost no clothes on to weigh themselves. Seeing that a lot of the members were just a little older than me, I was slightly relieved. 

"Start jogging round the hall" we were told. And so we did. 5 minutes later I had started getting tired (I was never big on running) and then one of the coaches said "we're going for a short run today guys only 30 minutes". 

"What?... 30 MINUTES!?" I thought to myself, this was already the longest I'd ever run in my life!

Long story short the warmup finished me before I could finish it.. the only thing that pulled me through was the fear of embarrassment, I didn't want to be the only one who gave up! After about 20 minutes of very rough (on my part) pad work, my brother showed me correct punching technique on the heavy bags and we called it a day. 

Later that evening, having dinner with my family my legs felt sore as ever. It wasn't a bad kind of sore though, it told me I worked hard and I wanted to push myself even more the day after! For the first time I felt like something was definitely for me!

So thats my first experience with martial arts training! Share your experiences too I'd love to know how it went for you!

Hello World!:

- Hey does anyone know of any martial art tournaments or competitionsnear cincinnati ohio
06-08-2016, 06:16 PM,
RE: My First Day Of Training
Well, my first martial art is Shorinji Kempo.

It was the first year on highschool. I was around 17 y.o that time. I saw a shorinji Kempo demonstration and then I decided to try it. At the first session we trained basic techniques like punches, blocks and kicks. Before martial art, I already train basketball for 7 years so I'm not really exhausted. I feel fine that day but the next day my legs are really sore because of the kicks.

After that day, I just fell in love with martial art. I start to surf around the internet to find articels, videos, or movies about martial art.

Well, even tho Shorinji Kempo it's not my kind of martial art, it opens the door for me to know other martial art.

So yeah, that's My First Day Of Training!  Cool Big Grin

Hello World!:

- Hey does anyone know of any martial art tournaments or competitionsnear cincinnati ohio
Kick High & Bow Low, OSU!  Cool
08-08-2016, 02:50 PM,
Before I started training kickboxing, or actually until I started fighting I would NEVER imagine that martial arts would be my greatest passion.
I had played handball for many years, and at the age of 14 I wanted to train more, to improve my skills as a player. I was suggested to try kickboxing as a supplement training to improove my koordination, reflexes and strenght etc.

I started training at a beginnerclass in the local kickboxingklubb. We started the warm up doing aerobic to "disco" music. I feelt so discoordinated at the beginning. I don`t think I managed to do even one of the mooves correctly, but at least I got warm while jumping around. Then we lined up to learn the "base" technics. It fascinated me how good training it was to just standing in one spot kicking and punching in the air. Holding the kicks while the instructor whent around to correct us was the hardest part. Keeping balance on one foot while doing a totally new moovemet and trying to keep the leg straight while he counted. After about 30min, we started working on the baggs. This was the part I liked the most. We had nuomerous of 2 min (1min break) intervalls of kicking and punching as hard/fast as we could. Obviously the technics were completly wrong at that time. But I really loved to push myself to the limit working rounds on the bag. The training ended with push-ups, burpies, and situps. I remember I felt like I was in the military.

The first year, we had almost no "contact-training". But I sure improved my physical condition working on pads, punching baggs and technical training. I was a totally different way of getting tired and pushing limits.
If was first after I started fighting that I knew that THIS was what I wanted to do. Somehow it gave me something else than what  the Team Sport did.

Hello World!:

17-08-2016, 09:27 AM,
The first martial art I ever tried was karate. I was 5 years old, and I was watching as my older brother had his first training. There were many games and fun ways to train speed, coordination and balance, and it looked so much fun I asked if I could start as well. Luckily, they let me start even though the minimum age was set to 7, so I could go together with my brother.

I don't remember that many details about exactly what we did for my first training, I just remember having a lot of fun and wanting to go back as soon as possible. The tasks were challenging and sometimes extremely difficult, but that was what I liked the most. It wasn't always easy, which made it so much more satisfying when I finally made it. After a few years I also started competing, which I have loved to do ever since.

Also, my first kickboxing training turned out to be very important for me. I had moved away from home to study, and the new place didn't have any good karate clubs. After half a year almost without any martial arts, I decided I had to find something else, and went to my first kickboxing training. Even though I had 15 years of experience from karate, I decided to do the beginners course so i would get used to the differences. Because of my previous experience, I found the beginner trainings quite easy. I already knew much of the technical parts, and my balance and coordination was better than for the average beginner. Still, there were many things that were different, and I struggled to change the habits I already had. My guard was not good enough, I had no experience with hooks or uppercuts and fighting continuous was a lot harder than stopping for every point. 

Even though I sometimes miss karate, I am extremely happy I started kickboxing. The half year I went without martial arts was too long, and made me realise that I'll never be able to quit martial arts permanently; I would simply miss it far too much.

Hello World!:

04-09-2017, 07:46 AM,
Would be great to get an update on your progress!

Hello World!: